BASIC or OFFICE is REQUIRED! see also Updates (2004-2017)
Some training is transferable from main campus.
Awareness, common sense, & not sleep deprived are 90% of safety.
After doing BASIC or OFFICE then do the corresponding labtrain.pdf or offtrain.pdf
- required record to be filed in the lab safety binder for your lab/area.
- Your lab/area safety officer will do this training with you.
ANIMAL TRAINING - required before all fish & amphibian work
STARS: Animal Care and Use Program (VSC-PROG-0001)
and: May 14th 2013 video by Stephanie Jensen on Fish and Frogs
Chemical Safety Officers: you are responsible for in lab training, waste management, chemical inventory, quarterly inspections, yearly update topics
Animal Safety Officer: you are responsible for caring or ensuring care of animals used in your lab, If vertebrates, then there is a lot of paper work involved too
BACK SAFETY - learn to lift the right way and avoid a life of back pain
BIOHAZARDS - required of all people doing work with media for bacteria, viruses, etc.
CENTRIFUGE - not required, but look over to be sure you are being safe
CONFOCAL- training required before use, see Chris Lowe
DIVING & BOATING - - training required before use, see Freya, x56245
ERGONOMICS - training required of all supervisors, STARS EHS-3400
RADIATION - there are NO active rad licenses currently at Hopkins
SHOP - training required before use, see John, x56231
UPDATES [2004-2018] - every year we go over the problems of the year and discuss as a community remedies
Easy access web based training from Stanford's EH&S through STARS:
Animal Care and Use Program: VSC-PROG-0001
Bloodborne Pathogens : EHS-PROG-1600 Biosafety : EHS-1500
- required for bacteria work
Chemical Safety for Laboratories : EHS-1900
- general laboratory work
Compressed Gas Safety : EHS-2200
- if you have compressed gas in your area, take this one too.
DOT: Shipping Biological Goods or Dry Ice : EHS-PROG-2700
- required by Feds if you want to prepare shipments using dry ice
- or have Barbara Compton do this for you
Ergonomics- Computer Workstation : EHS-3400
- also on this site. Chris can do an ergo eval of your desk area in a few minutes
Excepted Quantities : EHS-PROG-2650
- if you want to ship sample in 70% ethanol
- or have Chris do this for you
General Safety, Injury Prevention (IIPP), and Emergency Preparedness : EHS-4200
- simlar to the BASIC training on this site
Laser Safety Training : EHS-4820
- VERY long course. only required for class 3b and above
Life Sciences Research Laboratory Safety Training : EHS-4875
- introduction to safety in Biology
Supervisor Health and Safety Responsibilities : EHS-5400
- EXCELLENT & HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR FACULTY